Coming Soon to the App Store and Play Store
The Patient’s Guide to Hospital Safety is a mobile app developed by APRA in co-operation with leading medical professionals and patient safety experts.
The information in this handy, easy to understand and use guide can help patients protect themselves from preventable harm.
While many hospitalized patients receive excellent care and are healed without incident, preventable medical errors in hospitals are the 3rd leading cause of death. Approximately 35 million hospital admissions take place in the U.S. each year and up to one in four admitted patients is harmed. Between 10,000 and 20,000 incidents of harm occur daily, many resulting in permanent injury, and up to 400,000 patients die each year, many after discharge from the hospital.
Medical errors happen at all hospitals every day, even the highest-rated. More than half of all harm occurs in cases of elective surgery or procedures, rather than emergency or urgent care. Every hospital patient is at risk.
Americans are admitted to a hospital nine times on average over a lifetime. Once admitted, a patient should know who is caring for them, what is being done to them and why, as well as how to protect themselves from harm.
- What to Do Before Being Admitted to a Hospital
- Why You Need a Patient Advocate and How to Choose One
- What to Do When Being Admitted to a Hospital
- What Are Your Rights and Responsibilities as a Hospital Patient
- Hospital Personnel – Who is Who and How to Identify Them
- Care Coordination
- Harm, Medical Errors and Adverse Events
- How to Protect Yourself While in a Hospital
- Warning Signs of a Patient in Trouble
- Types of Medical Errors, Their Causes, How to Recognize and Avoid Them
- What to Do If You Have Been Harmed or Think An Error Has Occurred
- How to Report a Medical Error, Patient Harm or Dangerous Conditions
- Submit a Review About Your Hospital Experience